Home buyers in the process of making one of the biggest purchases of their lives will find it especially important to consider and understand the cost-saving, resource-sustaining benefits of purchasing one of Platinum's new, energy efficient homes in our environmentally conscious communities.
In purchasing an eco-friendly home from Platinum Homes, buyers can count on us for maintaining and meeting outstanding standards and criteria for green living. In constructing all of our homes, we begin with certain critical environmental goals:
- Save energy
- Conserve water
- Protect natural resources
- Reduce the impact on the community
- Provide healthy indoor and outdoor environment
From the energy efficient appliances that we install, to the cleaner and more efficient HVAC systems and quality insulation we provide, Platinum's homes are built to operate with maximum efficiency, cutting our homeowner's costs in utilities and maintenance. Our tighter building envelopes and high quality windows prevent warm and cool air from escaping, keeping your home comfortable, while managing your energy usage and minimizing your utility expense.
Platinum's commitment to utilizing the very latest and most advanced standards for storm water management and sustainable, low-impact landscaping started well before "eco-friendly" and "green"development became fashionable. In 2006, it developed a unique waterfront site on the Lynnhaven River in Virginia Beach that utilized rain gardens to minimize runoff by collecting and distributing rainwater for irrigation purposes along with bio-retention structures, and buffers, earning Platinum the City's "Stewardship Award". More recently, Platinum designed and built the very largest "Living Shoreline" in the Commonwealth of Virginia, considered by environmental scientists to be the very best way to prevent erosion, filter storm water runoff, and protect our waterways.
We're passionate about sustainable building and green living, and continue to work to create homes that will last their new owners a lifetime, while preserving the natural resources and communities they were built around. Ask us more about how to conserve energy in your new Platinum Home and community, today.
If you're looking for immediate ways to conserve energy in your new home, check out these...
Top 8 Tips for Saving Energy in Your Home:
- Reduce heating usage in the Winter. Every degree above 68 degrees can add an estimated 3% to the amount of energy needed for heating.
- Reduce air conditioning usage in the Summer. Use less energy by keeping your thermostat set to 78 degrees or higher.
- Change to Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs). CFLs use 75% less energy and last 10 times longer.
- Change your habits. Make sure to turn off lights when you leave the room, power down your electronics and avoid keeping appliances plugged in and on when not in use.
- Change your laundry practices. Do NOT use your medium laundry mode. Wait until you have a full load, as the medium load saves less than half of both water and energy than a full load. Change the lint filter in your dryer after every load to dry your clothes faster.
- Reduce your water heater temperature from 140 degrees to 120 degrees, and save roughly $7 per month.
- Use a full dishwasher. Avoid pre-rinsing, and fill your dishwasher entirely before running it.
- Devise an Energy Efficient Plan in your household. Then, enroll your family members in the plan. Committing to energy saving practices is the most important step you can take to use less, and conserve more.